Concrete is one of the most durable, durable and accessible to everyone building materials. Its recipe is elementary and allows you to “play with yourself” to create more advanced compositions.
However, manufacturers today are creating more and more modernized additives and additives, which, in their opinion, only improve the quality of the final product. At the same time, it increases its cost in several times, which ultimately falls on the shoulders of the consumer.
Water repellent impregnation for concrete is one of these solutions. How necessary is it, and does it make sense to use it on non-specific facilities?
Why waterproof concrete
Concrete is a durable material, despite the fact that during long-term operation it is subjected to constant destructive effects of precipitation, chemical reagents and industrial gases, which, penetrating into micropores, destroy the structure from the inside.
To prevent negative impacts, you must carefully waterproof the concrete. This must be done in order to prevent the appearance of voids in the concrete and to prevent the penetration of moisture, which can spoil the material, causing irreparable structural changes in it.
- Modern technologies allow to produce the latest building materials that make the design durable and reliable. It is necessary to waterproof the concrete product in order to cover the pores present in the concrete.
- After such a procedure, moisture no longer penetrates into the internal structures of an artificial stone. Impregnation also provides excellent thermal and waterproofing characteristics of the building by compacting this building material.
What protects the concrete from moisture?
To effectively protect the concrete from the penetration of moisture, it is necessary to use special tools that have a high penetrating quality.
- Mixes consist of fillers, Portland cement and other chemically active additives.
- The main feature of the materials is the ease of use and the ability to easily use the funds during the construction work.
- The main task of waterproofing is the effective protection of concrete from moisture penetration. If the concrete is water-repellent, then the frost resistance indicators will increase significantly.
- Impregnation for the protection of concrete have a variety of compositions and are designed for waterproofing works.
What are water repellents?
On the modern market there are different types of water repellents. The main ones are water and silicone compounds.
- It is necessary to carefully read the contents of the mixture, since different tools are used for different construction tasks.
- Most experts note the high demand for silicone water repellents due to their unique properties.
- It does not limit the exchange of air, creates a strong protection for building materials, and contributes to effective protection from moisture. The water mixture also has a number of basic advantages. It gives a more improved look to processed building materials and is resistant to negative effects.
- Such mixtures are light and safe. It is important to make the right choice of additives, based on the types of material used.
Attention! For the first time, impregnations were used at special facilities and in the field of bridge construction. Later, the compositions became more available and went into mass production, as their effectiveness was proved by numerous tests and years of successful operation of concrete products.
Principle of impregnation
Instruction on the use of such compositions is almost the same. Its essence is as follows:
Impregnation must be applied to the product and wait until it hardens inside the concrete.
The capillary fluid comes out, but the molecular components of the mixture freely pass into the voids.
To improve the hydrophobicity of a building material, different substances can be combined.
Reliable properties of moisture resistance and strength are acquired by:
increase resistance to different temperatures;
Prevent freezing of moisture in concrete;
protection against the formation of corrosion;
favorable structural changes in the solution.
Manufacturers offer different brands of products designed to work with wet or dry materials. Usually the mixture begins to solidify during the day, and the temperature should not exceed 20 degrees. Before hardening, it is important to protect the necessary areas from moisture.
Is it possible to protect the concrete from moisture by other means?
Concrete is a durable building material that can withstand enormous loads. The fluid causes a damaging effect on the concrete. Moisture penetrates the material structure through numerous voids. Evaporation of a liquid leaves stains, which significantly spoils the appearance of the concrete material.
Given the above factors, it is not recommended to use available tools to protect concrete from moisture.
To increase the hydrophobic properties, it is necessary to use only special means, and the best option is impregnation with a water-repellent effect.
If the processing of concrete products was on time and efficiently, then external factors will not cause destructive effects on the material.
Lacquers and water glass are also mistakenly attributed to water repellent impregnations. If the first really has a hydrophobic property – although only superficial, and then only for a year with active use of the surface, then the second, in general, is a construction myth.
It is believed that liquid glass deposited on the surface of concrete, for a long time it will protect against moisture penetration. And what is most interesting and alluring is the low cost of such processing.
Note: Yes, indeed, liquid glass is able to protect the concrete from moisture and increase its strength and overall quality characteristics. But only when adding it to the composition. Application to concrete is superficial, gives a short-term and insignificant effect in comparison with the use of professional impregnation.
Therefore, the treatment of floors in garages, wells, screeds at home occurs through liquid glass, and for the specialized and supporting structures such “trash” is not suitable. To protect structures from the main enemy – moisture, in the construction field they use specifically water-repellent impregnations for concrete.