At registration of a personal plot, the territory of a courtyard or pedestrian zones, the LFA (small architectural forms) are increasingly used: fountains, benches and concrete flower gardens. Such elements have an interesting appearance, sufficient strength for operation in street conditions, and have a long service life.
With the help of small products you can zone the yard space, limit the passage of transport, designate the direction of movement or equip a recreation area. But besides quite practical tasks, the LFA also have an aesthetic function. For example, concrete flower cabinets can decorate a yard if there is not enough greenery in it. Let’s talk about flower beds in more detail.
Features of concrete beds
Concrete flower garden, perhaps the most popular element of landscape design. With the help of such elements the general atmosphere of the site is created. Modern construction technologies allow street beds to be made of various materials, but concrete are rightly considered the most reliable.
Positive properties of products
What is the difference between a concrete flower garden and flower compositions made of other materials: plastic, wood, metal or glass? Concrete is the most durable building material and feels great in conditions of temperature changes and high humidity.
Attractive qualities of concrete beds:
- A concrete product retains its original shape and appearance for a long time.
- Due to the weight of the product, a concrete flower bed can become a significant barrier to acts of vandalism. For the same reason (heavy weight) it is very difficult to steal such a flowerbed.
- This type of LFA is perfect for dividing a plot into functional zones, and there is no need to build fences, which saves the family budget and preserves the airiness of the space.
- Concrete flower garden is a great way to green the yard if there is a shortage of free territory. This flowerbed is one of the ways of vertical gardening.
Important! Such an assessment objectively corresponds only to those concrete products, in the production of which the necessary additives were used.
There are always some limitations or drawbacks that must be considered before using the structure.
In the case of concrete flower beds, cons are an integral part of the benefits:
- Large weight limits the ability to move the flowerbeds, so immediately carefully evaluate the location of the flower garden.
- The characteristic appearance of a concrete product does not always harmoniously fit into the intended design solution.
- It should be borne in mind that the concrete bed, even of small size, visually looks very cumbersome.
- Due to the fact that outdoor flower beds made of concrete are not afraid of the action of humidity, temperature differences or direct sunlight, the place for their installation is limited only by the imagination of the owners and necessity.
Concrete flower beds can be located at different levels relative to the ground.
It is customary to divide:
Do not have any restrictions on the place of installation. The device of such a flower bed is often used to restrict automobile or pedestrian traffic.
Stair or window
Mounted on window sills or railings. In order to avoid injuries, at the device the fixture is used. The area of the bottom may exceed the mounting surface.
Vertical or suspended
Concrete pots can be mounted on a vertical wall of a house or fence, making it possible to form a vertical fence from flowering plants.
Concrete flower cabinets differ in size. Its size depends on the size of the form, which means that the size directly affects the mobility of the flower bed.
Concrete flowerpots for beds can be:
Stationary. This flower garden is mounted for a long time. A large weight will come in the form of stability, thanks to which the concrete form is often placed on a hill, and the space around it is formed into a flower bed. Very often, this technique is used in the separation of the pedestrian zone and the roadway.
Portable. This type of concrete vase has a smaller size and weight. It is not fixed on an installation site in addition. If necessary, such a flower bed can be removed from the street, for example, in winter, or moved to change the zoning of space.
Variety of shapes
Due to the fact that the solution can take any form, there are a huge number of types of concrete flower beds. If it is possible to create a formwork, it means you can cast a flower bed of this form.
If the price of finished products is too high, you can make a concrete pot with your own hands. In this case, there are no limitations in design decisions at all.
Making a concrete flower garden
Building supermarkets offer flower beds of various shapes and sizes. But to get a truly unique product, it is better to cast a flower bed by yourself. Moreover, the manufacturing process is quite simple.
Necessary tools and materials
In order to cast a flower garden vase from a concrete mortar, it is necessary to prepare tools and materials for mixing the mortar and forming the formwork:
- fine sand;
- concrete additives;
- coloring pigments;
- formwork material or ready-made forms;
- thick cardboard;
- plastic wrap;
Formwork device or form preparation
If you have a ready-made form, then use it to arrange the outer wall of the formwork. If not, form the outer contours using thick cardboard or plastic, holding the tape together.
On a note! At the bottom of the form should be placed a small cap, for example, from the drug bottle. After the concrete has dried, the cover should be removed. Thus, in the monolithic bottom there will be a hole for the withdrawal of water.
The inner bowl may be of arbitrary shape, but smaller. Plastic bottles of 5 or 19 liters can be used.
If you want to get a large pot, you can dig a spherical hole in the ground and cast it with plastic wrap. Next, we also install a plug under the drain.
On it we establish a metal basin, the necessary form, wrapped with a film. Traces of the wrinkles of polyethylene can be finished by smoothing with sandpaper.
Preparation of the solution
Concrete is mixed based on the proportion of 1 part cement with 3 parts sand. When mixing, add frost-resistant additives and plasticizer. Instructions for using the additive are always on the original packaging. You can enter into the solution of marble chips or coloring pigment, to obtain the desired color.
- It is necessary to pour the received structure in a timbering accurately, without formation of bubbles. If possible, after pouring the form should be tapped. How to arrange a formwork for a concrete flower bed and fill the form will tell the video in this article.
- To dry the concrete should in conditions of constant humidity. To do this, close the upper edges of the vase with a wrap, after you have leveled them.
- After 2 – 3 days, the concrete will grab, after a week it will be possible to remove the cup. Full setting will happen in 4 weeks. All defects on the surface can be smoothed with abrasive.
- If a solution without a dye was used to form the bowl, the pot can always be painted in any color using dye compositions for stone and concrete.
A flower stand made of concrete will decorate any area. This garden form can be purchased at the store or made independently. Moreover, the manufacture of such a pot can attract all family members. Years later, such a thing in the courtyard of the house would be a wonderful reminder of good days.
Concrete flower gardens – a small architectural form, whose service life is estimated in dozens of years. But they can be updated and painted, rearranged and supplemented with other forms. Imagine and involve the whole family in the improvement of the plot.